Sunday, September 26, 2010

Cosmetic Cost Cutter Tutorial: Cleaning Your Brushes The Cost Effective Way

---I WILL UPDATE WITH PHOTOS SOON---


Did you know that not cleaning your cosmetic tools on a regular basis can cause acne and infections?
Pretty gross, huh?

There are several ways to properly clean your tools. Today I'm blogging about the cheapest one. Because let's face it, we already spend way more than we should on cosmetics anyway.

You'll need 5 things you already have in your home, how cool is that?
1.) A plate
2.) Dish Soap (antibacterial of course)
3.) Olive Oil (I use extra virgin)
4.) Hair Ties or Rubberbands
5.) Push Pins or Tacks or Nails (hooks would be even better)

Step 1: Pour even amounts of dish soap and olive oil onto plate.

Step 2: Swirl brushes in mixture. Then "paint" the plate back and forth.

Step 3: Rinse in lukewarm water using the "paint" motion on your hand as you would rinse a paintbrush.

Step 4: Squeeze dry in a towel or paper towel and rubberband the end of the paintbrush (the end you hold) nice and tight.

Step 5: Using the rubberband as a tie, hang brush UPSIDE DOWN from nail or hook.

NEVER set your wet brushes bristle side up.
This causes the water to pool inside the crimped metal which not only will become a breeding ground for bacteria and mold, but will soften your glue and cause major bristle fallout.

There are brush guards you can purchase that slip over your brushes. Not only do they keep the shape of your brushes, but you can safely set your brushes upside down in a cup to dry, but today I'm going with the "things you already have" method.

Some of you are probably questioning my choice of cleanser.
Dish soap is antibacterial, killing off all the nasty dirt, oil and bacteria while being mild enough for (soft hands) the bristles.
The olive oil is a conditioning agent. Making your bristles soft yet strong without irritating your face.

How often should I clean my brushes?
It varies on your usage.
Personally, I clean my brushes once a week.
After each use I use the "paint" method on a damp towel just to keep them from being all gunked up with various colors, but that actual full cleaning I do once a week.

Unfortunately, I don't have any images for you today.
I got the idea for this blog last night AFTER I hung my brushes up to dry.
I'll have to remember to cam the next time and update this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment